Wednesday, November 12, 2008

You're a Mean One



Group's new Christmas message: Be good, not godly

Ads proclaiming, "Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness' sake," will appear on Washington buses starting next week and running through December.
...
The American Humanist Association unveiled the provocative $40,000 holiday ad campaign Tuesday.
...
"It's the ultimate grinch to say there is no God at a time when millions of people around the world celebrate the birth of Christ," said Mathew Staver, the [Liberty Council's] chairman and dean of the Liberty University School of Law. "Certainly, they have the right to believe what they want, but this is insulting."

Certainly he has the right to be insulted as well. Just as everyone around him has the right to disbelieve in his religion despite it putting a damper on his Christmas spirit. Freedom of religion is a bitch.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

DB said...

I watched Fox News clip on Huffpost with the Morning Show anchors mocking atheists for this. I am just happy to see the ads actually put out there. Visibility will increase numbers as people won't feel the need to hide.

Josh said...

Go, go AHA!

Josh Nankivel
http://non-theist.com

Unknown said...

I couldn't have said it better!

"It seems that people will continue to ignore the absurdity of their own beliefs while laughing at the equally insane beliefs of others."

We must understand that the key to peaceful co-existence means understanding differences. I must understand that the majority is different from me because they will continue to ignore facts and instead believe in what has been taught to them and instilled in them their whole lives. When confronted with this issue of ignoring scientific facts that dispel their beliefs, their response: "but you must have FAITH! I have faith in my God. I believe."

I say, “????.”

Well...I have faith in two things: 1. myself - and 2. that I do not have the freedom to mention my beliefs like theists mention and push theirs without being looked down upon as a heathen. Theists do not realize how much their beliefs are pushed. The theist is often rude to me - confrontational and somehow upset if I dare mention my atheist beliefs. ...and yet theirs are flaunted about me every day and I am supposed to do what? Sit there? Well, that is actually what I do on most occasions because the other option is give them their and taste of their own medicine and argue them when they mention “god” or “sin” or “heaven.” I couldn't...I wouldn't have enough time or energy.

Theists don't realize how much our society is influenced by their beliefs. They may get upset with, for example, the ad on the buses, but what they need to understand is that I must live with their beliefs surrounding me every day. Why can't they live with mine?

…meant to be a rhetorical and climactic question for my comment here, but of course I have a number of likely answers. :-P

-Michael
http://expansionofspace.blogspot.com/