Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Cult

The following video is an hour-long documentary about a man who claims to be the Messiah and his following, who live in New Mexico and are waiting for the end of the world. Click here to view the video on The Atheist Media Blog.

I found this documentary to be extremely troubling, mainly because it shows just how blindly people will believe something because it makes them feel loved, special, and like they belong. Some quotes that really stood out to me:

"My mother told me I was brain washed, and I thought yes, I am brainwashed! Michael washed my brain of all my own corrupt thoughts."

"No children attend school here, Michael says it is a bad influence."

I don't know what kind of ego it takes to proclaim yourself as the Messiah, but I have to think that this man actually believes himself. At one shocking point in the film, he reveals that God "instructed" him to sleep with his son's wife. As he explains this we see the pain in his son's face, who really cuts a tragic figure. Does this man think that every erection is a sign from god? He must.

This video is a must see if you have the time, and you can find a little bit more info here.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: